Basic Truth #8 - Will Jesus Return In The Flesh?

Please find in this forum the forty (40) Basic, Elementary Truths taught by all Jehovah's Witnesses world wide. Also, please find a brief description of each teaching, with biblical substantiation for each tenet believed, which constitutes this nation as God's Name People, Modern-Day "Israel" of Bible Prophecy.

Also, read the bible completely through in one (1) year! Yes, as a subforum, we have provided a Daily Bible Reading Schedule for your convenience in this particular forum. The schedule is so easy to follow ... Enjoy!

Moderator: SNS Administration

bejay

Basic Truth #8 - Will Jesus Return In The Flesh?

Post by bejay »

Basic Truth #8 - Will Jesus Return in the Flesh?

When Jesus was on the earth, he told his followers that he was going away and the world would not see him but they would see him again. (John 14:19) Are we to conclude that he would become flesh again, as most religionists believe? In prayer to Jehovah just before his death, as recorded at John 17:5, Jesus requested this: “And now Father glorify me with the glory I had with you before the world began.” It was Jesus’ desire to return to heaven after he had finished the work that he was sent to earth to do.

His becoming human required that he take the position of a slave. Philippians 2:7 says of this of him: “But he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness.” His living on the earth as a human had none of the glory that his life in heaven as a spirit creature had. Psalms 8:5 says this of humans: “You have made them a little lower than angels.” Jesus was required then to humble himself to become a slave in obedience to Jehovah so that Jehovah would afterwards reward him with the glory that is described at Philippians 2:9, 10. It reads: “Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

After his resurrection from the dead, Jesus told his disciples as recorded at Matthew 28:18 that he had been given ‘all authority in heaven and on earth’ a lofty position indeed. Psalms 110:1 speaks of Jesus as ‘sitting at the right hand of God awaiting Him to subject all of his enemies under his feet.” Hebrews 2:9 tells us this: “But we do see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower that the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.”

Jesus would invalidate his perfect human sacrifice by becoming flesh again. He said, as recorded at John 6:51, “The bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world.” He willingly gave his fleshly body to redeem humans from slavery to sin and death and he would never take it back and become human again. The Apostle Paul writing to the Corinthian Congregation made this statement: “From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way.” (2 Corinthians 5:16) In other words, Christ was now a spirit person and no one would ever view him in this light again because he would never become flesh again.

So in what way will his 1st century followers see him again? Before Jesus was killed, he told his disciples that they would ‘eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” (Luke 22:30) They would see him again because they would be resurrected to life in heaven as spirit persons just as he had been. 1 Corinthians 15:49 says of these ones, “Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we will also bear the image of the man of heaven.” (See also Philippians 3:20, 21)

Therefore, we must conclude based upon sound scriptural evidence, Jesus thus will never, ever return in the flesh nor appear to mankind again, in the flesh.