Basic Truth #23 - New Covenant Made With Spiritual Israel

Please find in this forum the forty (40) Basic, Elementary Truths taught by all Jehovah's Witnesses world wide. Also, please find a brief description of each teaching, with biblical substantiation for each tenet believed, which constitutes this nation as God's Name People, Modern-Day "Israel" of Bible Prophecy.

Also, read the bible completely through in one (1) year! Yes, as a subforum, we have provided a Daily Bible Reading Schedule for your convenience in this particular forum. The schedule is so easy to follow ... Enjoy!

Moderator: SNS Administration

Littleleslie

Basic Truth #23 - New Covenant Made With Spiritual Israel

Post by Littleleslie »

Basic Truth #23 - New Covenant made with Spiritual Israel

Although natural Israel was in a covenant relationship with Jehovah for centuries after He brought them out of Egypt, they did not remain in such. As a nation, they did not continue to obey His commands, statutes, and ordinances and so experienced the curses included in the covenant. The Bible is full of statements that promise a restoration of Israel to Jehovah’s favor wherein He will conclude a new covenant with them. Many religionists believe that these promises will be fulfilled upon the natural descendants of Jacob as many as are alive today. (Exodus 19:4-8; 2 Kings 17:14-20; Ezekiel 34:25-27; Hosea 2:14-20; Amos 9:14, 15)

The natural nation had a last opportunity to correct their mistakes by accepting the messiah, who would bring a new covenant for them to accept, relieving them of the curse that they were under because of disobedience. As a nation, they did not accept this arrangement but a remnant of them did do so. (Malachi 4:5, 6; Romans 9:27)

The new covenant that was mediated by Jesus upon his death on a torture stake was first mentioned in Jeremiah 31:31-34 and restated by Paul in Hebrews 8:8-12. After natural Israel rejected Jesus as messiah, Jehovah decided to open the opportunity for Gentiles to take their place. Moses made mention of this in Deuteronomy 32:21 where Jehovah said this: "They have made me jealous with what is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their idols. So I will make them jealous with those who are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation." (See also Isaiah 64:1, 2; Romans 9:24-26)

These were those who were not originally in a covenant with Jehovah and had no standing with Him. But they put faith in the message that was preached to them and came to be under the new covenant mediated by Jesus making them Israelites in a spiritual sense. As the Apostle Paul writes at Romans 9:6, 7, "For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel neither are they all children because they are Abraham’s descendants." These ones were chosen by Jehovah to REPLACE natural Israel and enter into the New Covenant because of their faith. -- Matthew 21:43

Shortly, this prophetic drama will repeat itself, upon Modern-Day Israel itself. - Ezekiel 17:22-24